Wednesday, September 9, 2015

What We Have Been Up To

A long awaited update...One would think that if it is quiet and I'm not writing that would mean things were quiet and nothing was going on.  But actually it is quite the opposite.  Several many things have been going on.

I did go back to work.  I was exceptionally worried about going back.  But it has gone well.  With a little bribing on my part, Krisann has really changed her schooling routine for me which is very helpful.  And the most helpful thing ever about going back is that I changed my work times.  So this year I work from 8 to 12 and then I'm done.  I was very worried about how this would work but it has been the biggest blessing.  It gives me afternoons to homeschool, run errands, go to doctors appointments, etc!  I had no clue how much this one change would free my schedule up and relieve stress.  I am soooooo thankful that God led me to do what seemed like a little change!!

Zine had a CAT scan for follow up on whether his blood thinners were working.  And the nurse was so excited to say Mrs. Smith, I never get to give you good news but Dr. L says Zine is having very good results with the blood thinners so I feel like for the first time ever I am giving you good news!  Now, his lungs still have a long ways to go and they will probably never be clot free!  But we will take progress!!

Last week we had a very emotion filled afternoon.  We had our wonderful rehabilitation friend come spend two and half hours with us as well as an occupational therapist.  One of the first questions the OT asked Zine was where was he?  He quickly spouted off 103 Blackwood Drive!  LOL!  That wasn't what she meant!  She looked at him and said well, you are in a manual chair...what's your aversion to a power chair?  His response, it says I am raising the white flag of surrender!  She quickly got all over that.  She told him for the first time ever in a power chair he could go watch his 6 year old daughter swing outside.  She reminded him that when his family left him here for an evening walk a power chair would make it easy and possible for him to go with us independently.  She told him that a power chair was a tool by which he fought the big bad ugly battle of MS.  Suffice it to say, they didn't see things eye to eye!!   They watched to see how Zine got up and down, how Zine got in and out of bed, how Zine took his shower, etc.  They joined together and brought so many ideas and resources together that we didn't even know existed.  I think they left my house with a list of about 9 pieces of medical equipment to bring here.  The afternoon was very well spent for sure.  But when they left, we were emotionally spent!  It is so difficult to just embrace and acknowledge where we are.  And I am not looking forward to my house looking like a hospital!!  But at the same time, I felt so much relief to have them on our side and to take some pressure off of me specifically!  God was definitely in the planning of the OT coming to our house.  Thankful for our rehab friend that has been with us for so many years.  Who would have ever known the first wheelchair I ordered from her when Chloe was three would begin a long term relationship with her that has definitely grown and emerged.  So thankful for God putting knowledgeable people into our lives who know exactly what we need when we don't have a clue.


And just like God sending people into our lives who know exactly what we need when we don't have a clue, God does the same for us.  There's plenty of times that I don't even know what to pray for us. But I'm so thankful that the Holy Spirit knows exactly what we need and He is interceding for us with words we can't even imagine!


I can't wait to share some things that God has done in our lives!  But that will wait for another post!

1 comment:

  1. Tells you what I know...... I figured a manual chair was a good thing as that meant Zine was getting physical activity by using his upper body.

    ReplyDelete